Rowan County Wills and Estates
Pictured is an old stone house built by Michael Braun in 1786, Kerr Mill and another old store in Salisbury, North Carolina. The first Europeans to enter what is now Rowan County came with the Spanish expedition of Juan Pardo in 1567. They established a fort and a mission in the native village of Guatari, believed to be located near the Yadkin River and inhabited by the Wateree. At the time, the area was ruled by a female chief the Spaniards called Guatari Mico. Rockingham County was formed in 1753 from the northern part of Anson County. It was named for Matthew Rowan, acting governor of North Carolina from 1753 to 1754.During 1770 the eastern part of it was combined with the western part of Orange County to become Guilford County, North Carolina. In 1771 the northeastern part of what remained of Rowan County became Surry County. In 1777 the western part of Rowan County became Burke County. In 1788 the western part of the now much smaller Rowan County became Iredell County. In 1822 the eastern part of the still shrinking county became Davidson County. Finally, in 1836 the part of Rowan County north of the South Yadkin River became Davie County. Many of the Rowan County records, wills, estates, etc. are intact. It is usually researched in conjunction with Surry , Burke and Iredell Counties. Some of the earliest settlers were: Henry Aginder, Erasmus Allen, Thomas Braly, William Barr, Daniel Bates, Henry Bruner, William Bartholomew, Michael Cove, Alex Carruth, Nathan Dicks, Hannel Edwards, George Erwin, Peter Fox, Stephen Glandon, John Holmes, Robert Johnson, Peter King, Peter Lawrence, Andrew Maden, Joshua Nichols, William Ogburn, William Porter, David Rothera, and John Thompson.